Manley Stingray II Integrated Amplifier
The famous Manley Stingray stereo integrated amplifier has been renewed and refreshed. Allow us to present to you the Stingray II integrated tube amplifier with full featured RF and IR remote control. Manely also makes another model with a built-in iPod dock called the Stingray iTube.
The STINGRAY II is the next evolution from our acclaimed Stingray Integrated Amplifier, legendary in the hifi world since it first swam from our labs in 1997. Originally conceived with particular attention paid to optimal component placement for the purity and symmetry of the signal path layout, the Stingray quickly became one of our best-selling products. The Stingray II retains the same basic tube circuitry and marvelous output transformers as the original with some important improvements:
The high voltage tube energy storage has been increased vastly resulting in even more solid and coherent bass control and impact.
A headphone jack has been added to the right side facia. This jack re-routes the output from the speaker binding posts and mutes the Subwoofer output feed. This makes the Stingray II a fabulous headphone amplifier!
The 4th input source is an 1/8″ (3.5mm) TRS mini jack for convenient hookup with portable devices and computers on the left front facia.
The Remote Control works with both Radio Frequency and InfraRed technologies. Using the remote in RF mode gives freedom from having to “point and shoot.” The RF remote is omnidirectional and works through walls and cabinets. IR capability is included for those with Universal Learning Remote Controls for consolidated integration into existing systems. The volume control, balance adjust, input switching, and display options are all on the RF/IR Remote Control. Additionally user can perform the MUTE, DIM, INSERT and STANDBY commands with the Remote Control.
Each INPUT can be individually level trimmed to match and to optimize system gain staging of various input devices.
The fancy blue LED displays surrounding the INPUT and VOLUME encoder knobs can be dimmed down or turned off entirely, after a user-settable time period, or a “screen-saver” random light sequence can be selected. Speed and intensity of the “Starlight” mode can be tweaked to taste.
All custom user settings are hard written into memory when the unit is put into STANDBY mode and thus retained if power is later interrupted.
There is even a SLEEP timer which is programmable from the remote control to allow you to drift off carefree dreaming of your musical Stingray for 15, 30, 45 or 60 minutes while it gracefully lowers the volume and puts itself into STANDBY mode.
Individual sealed gold contact relays deliver the selected input into the volume control system before hitting the first 12AT7 input tubes. Following the mighty 6414 driver/phase splitter, the trusty EL84 output stage can be switched between either 20 watts of TRIODE power or 40 watts of Ultra Linear mode push-pull operation. Individual bias for each tube is easily adjusted using the trimpots and test points, conveniently located on the top surface of the amplifier. The Stingray’s power supply is extra-rugged and stiff, a MANLEY hallmark. It swims with the sharks: fast, agile, fluid, and with consummate authority.
Post-volume SUBWOOFER OUTPUT allows easy hookup of outboard line-level driven active powered subwoofers. This output is after the volume control so that the subwoofer will track the volume level changes of the main speakers. The SUB OUTPUT is a line level and full frequency output that is AFTER the volume control so your powered subwoofer follows the same volume as your main speakers. These are unbalanced RCA jacks, line level. They feed the line inputs of your subwoofer, NOT the speaker jacks.
A switchable TAPE LOOP is standard. The TAPE SEND is the output of the selected input before the volume control. The TAPE RETURN can also be used as a 5th line input if needed.
RECORD OUT (aka Tape OUT) is BEFORE the volume control so you can record whatever input you have selected without your listening level affecting the level going to your recorder. These are unbalanced RCA’s. It is UNbalanced RCA’s and UNbuffered so check out the input Z to your recorder to make sure it won’t load down the Stingray main input while it is plugged in. Usually with unbuffered record outs we recommend you only plug in your recorder only when you are actually recording…
Tape LOOP: Also known as an INSERT point, the SEND or Tape Out comes off the selector switch as the Record Out option does going to your outboard EQ or Merlin BAM unit or tape recorder and then the signal returns (RETURN) to the Stingray in front of of the volume control so you can play tunes. A toggle switch selects whether the Tape LOOP (and whatever is plugged into the Tape Loop) is active or the signal goes straight through the Stingray as normal. If you have the Merlin BAM system, order your Stingray with the Tape LOOP option.
- 3 x Stereo Line RCA Inputs
- 1 x Stereo Line 1/8″ TRS mini-jack Input
- TRIODE – UL Output Stage Mode Switching
- RECORDING OUT
- SUBWOOFER OUT
- TAPE LOOP (Insert) with Bypass switch
- 1/4″ Headphone OUTPUT (mutes speakers and subwoofer output when deployed)
- Logic controlled Volume and Balance functions
- All-Vacuum Tube Lo-feedback Stereo Integrated Design
- Output Tubes: 8 x EL84 Ships with Russian NOS EL84M (aka 6Pi14Pi-EB)
- Driver Tubes: 2 x 6414 Ships with GE or RAYTHEON JAN NOS USA or 6414W
- Input Tubes: 2 x 12AT7EH Ships with: 12AT7EH large plate Electro-Harmonix Russian
- Maximum Output Power UL mode: 32 Watts x 2 channels 1.5% THD @ 1kHz into 5 Ohms
- Maximum Output Power TRIODE mode: 18 Watts x 2 channels 1.5% THD @ 1kHz into 5 Ohms
- Frequency Response: 15 Hz – 58 kHz, -1dB
- Gain: 35 dB at max Volume
- Input Sensitivity UL Full Power: 210 mV in = 32 watts out into 5 Ohms with volume control at maximum
- Input Sensitivity Triode: 41mV in = 1W into 5 Ohms with volume control at 20dB gain setting
- Input Sensitivity UL: 35mV in = 1W into 5 Ohms with volume control at 20dB gain setting
- Crosstalk: -72dB See Chart
- S/N Ratio: typically 72 dB A-WGT, 1W output, 20dB gain, Source Z = shorted input
- THD+N Ratio: typically 64 db at 1W output, Bandwidth 22Hz-22kHz, Source = 1kHz Sine wave
- Input Impedance: 12 kOhm nominal
- Optimum Speaker Load: 5 Ohms
- Speaker Terminal Output Impedance: 2.36 Ohms @ 20Hz, 2 Ohms @ 1kHz, 1.83 Ohms @ 20kHz
- Damping Factor: 2.4
- Headphone Jack Output Impedance: 53 Ohms
- Scratch Factor: Use pennies under pointed feet to avoid marring cabinetry. Try quarters if you are in upper tax brackets. The bargain performer would be nickels. Paper currency does not function as well. Euro coins work 1.54 times better.
- Remote Control Type: RF (radio frequency) and IR (infrared), user selectable
- Volume Control: Cirrus Digital Level Control System, controlled by Grayhill Rotary Encoders
- Volume Control Range: 102dB in 1dB steps turning slowly, with larger steps as rate of turn increases
- SLEEP timer: 15, 30, 45, 60 minutes
- Power Consumption (Standby): 6W
- Power Consumption Idle: 198W
- Maximum Power Consumption at Full Power: 300W
- Fuse type and ratings @ 117 VAC operation:
MAINS fuse: 3 Amp 3AG slow-blow use glass body Littlefuse Series 239
- Fuse type and ratings @ 230 VAC operation:
MAINS fuse: 1.6 Amp 3AG slow-blow use glass body Littlefuse Series 239
- B+ FUSES (2): MDA 1/4 AMP, 250 Volt SLO-BLO, Ceramic.
- Power Supply: is factory set for 100V, 120V or 220-240VAC operation for original destination country’s mains voltage.
- Operating Mains Voltage: changeable with power transformer re-wiring on PCB and fuse value change.
- Mains Voltage Frequency: 50 ~ 60 Hz
- Power Cord: Detachable IEC standard.
Appropriate power cord supplied for original destination country
- Dimensions: W= 19″, D=14″, H= 7 1/2″